23 November 2007

Mix Tape Friday: Georgia Dance Party

Georgia boasts some amazing musicians. We’re probably among the top five music states throughout this vast nation of ours. Three of the most influential artists of the nascent rock ‘n’ roll era — James Brown, Little Richard, and Ray Charles — hail from Georgia. My fellow Georgians include Otis Redding and Gladys Knight, Jessye Norman and Johnny Mercer, Widespread Panic and The Allman Brothers, Moe Tucker and Gram Parsons, Kelly Hogan and Chuck Leavell, Ray Stevens and Mac Davis. Some of the best producers live here, too, including Brendan O’Brien, Butch Walker, Jermaine Dupri, Dallas Austin, and L.A. Reid. The ATL is home to many rap and hip-hop artists, as well as Southern rockers (um, that’s a duh, isn’t it?). Country music is well-represented by Chet Atkins, Trisha Yearwood, Travis Tritt, and Alan Jackson. And Athens is a goldmine of great music — it even has its own Wikipedia page. Bob Mould and Matthew Sweet lived there for a while, and Camper van Beethoven/Cracker helmsman David Lowery lives there now.

And R.E.M. is an Athens band. But you knew that.

Let’s quit with the musical history lesson. It’s a holiday weekend. Everybody’s home for Thanksgiving, and I’m catching up with farflung friends who flew in. So we’re throwing down a Georgia dance party. You may not be familiar with some of these artists, as they’re local acts from our new-wave era. But give ‘em a listen. Introducing you to new artists is the goal of this weekly feature.

Take it away, B-52’s.


The B-52’s: Party out of Bounds

Gnarls Barkley: Gone Daddy Gone

The Producers: She Sheila

Guadalcanal Diary: Watusi Rodeo

Outkast: The Way You Move

Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx: Gold Digger

The Basics: Sexual Object

Of Montreal: She’s a Rejecter

Brick: Dazz (Disco Jazz)

R.E.M.: White Tornado

Oh-OK: Lilting

The Method Actors: E-Y-E

Cee-Lo feat. Timbaland: I'll Be Around

Jermaine Dupri feat. Ludacris: Welcome to Atlanta

The Swimming Pool Q’s: Rat Bait

Butch Walker: Bethamphetamine (Pretty, Pretty)

Neutral Milk Hotel: Love You on a Tuesday

R.E.M.: Catapult

The Black Crowes: Jealous Again

Gregg Allman: I’m No Angel

Gram Parsons feat. Emmylou Harris: Ooh Las Vegas

Drive-by Truckers: Aftermath USA

Dixie Dregs: Take It off the Top

Elton John: Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting

The Woggles: People Come On

James Brown: Get up Offa That Thing

RuPaul: Supermodel (You Better Work)

Olivia Tremor Control: Love Athena

Pylon: Dub

Apples in Stereo: 7 Stars

Art in the Dark: Calling Everyone

Elf Power: Let the Serpent Sleep

Modern Skirts: Seventeen Dirty Magazines

Man or Astroman?: Italian Movie Theme (Pylon cover)

Magnapop: Cherry Bomb

R.E.M.: Ages of You

Usher feat. Li'l John + Ludacris: Yeah

Danger Mouse + Jemini: The Only One

Vic Chesnutt: The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia



Loving every song? Then give your right-click a rest by downloading the entire playlist.

Some of you may consider RuPaul a New Yorker, but he grew up here in Atlanta. One friend loves to recount the first time he saw RuPaul — in Piedmont Park, wearing a bridal gown and army boots. The best I ever saw him look was at the old Celebrity Club. He was dancing on the bar, wearing nothing but a loincloth — and was beautiful.

Elton John, Georgian? Yep. He has a two-story condo on Peachtree, at Jesus Junction, and spends a good bit of time here. Tower Records used to open early for him every Tuesday he was in town so he could get the latest releases, and I hear Neiman-Marcus opens up just for him, too.

I used to live in an apartment next to a beautiful but dumb model, who had an equally beautiful but dumb beau. The beau came over one day with a Rolling Stone, beaming and bragging that he was mentioned in the beginning of a Black Crowes article. Chris Robinson told a story about how he hated his pretentious high school (same high school the Beloved Ex attended) and classmates. Soon after The Black Crowes hit it big, he went to The Buckhead Diner (one of Elton’s favorite spots). He was making fun of the valet, who was in the popular clique at his high school, and was now gushing all over this now-rockstar he once ignored. The beau was that valet. He was so beautiful but so dumb, he was proud of the mockery.

I get a lot of Google hits from folks looking for Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m No Angel.” Maybe it’s because I grew up listening to both Bruce and Gregg, but I’ve never noticed the similarity in their voices.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

25 Comments:

At 11/23/2007 08:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great fun AND educational, gotta love it

 
At 11/23/2007 09:53:00 AM, Blogger Earl Cootie said...

My parents went to high school with Ray Stevens. (By which I mean that they went to the same high school at the same time; they didn't know him or anything.) And Ray Charles is from my hometown. (Vice versa that.)

Arrrgh. Gotta work today. I'll be back later for the right-clicking. But, oh! I've been looking for "She Sheila" forever! I've got it but on vinyl (i.e. in a box, in the attic).

 
At 11/23/2007 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't know David Lowery was living in Athens now. For a good bit of time in the 90's...he lived in Richmond. He dated a waitress at the now gone Texas/Wisconsin Border Cafe and you'd see him all the time at the bar. I love that guy...

 
At 11/23/2007 01:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, love, LOVE the Allman Bros. I want Stormy Monday played at my funeral in many many MANY years from now. (Live at Filmore East version please)

Great to download all at once.

 
At 11/23/2007 01:37:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Perfect! I love celebrations of local musicians! It's actually something I have been considering myself.

Have yourselves a wonderful dance party.

 
At 11/23/2007 02:12:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Indeed, a merry dance party to you and yours. And way to kick the crap out of, say, Arkansas' music scene.

 
At 11/23/2007 03:24:00 PM, Blogger mellowlee said...

Sweet! I just unpacked the file, and am listening to the songs now! This came at a great time, cause I had to reformat my hard drive and lost so much music! Thanks Beth :O) Happy Turkey Day!

 
At 11/23/2007 06:10:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Ahhh, I LOVE "I'm No Angel." Such an underrated song.

I'll have to download a lot of these when I get back to NY. I'm unfamiliar with quite a bit of them.

 
At 11/24/2007 12:13:00 PM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Much love to you my dear...

I cant stop GA dancin!

Oh yeah BTW - She Sheila? I used to love that song back in the 80's. What ever happened to The Producers? is that whole CD still available? or did they have two?

 
At 11/24/2007 01:25:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

What a list! That was just the perfect thing to pick me up this weekend. I can't thank you enough for that blast of music while I shake clear of the cobwebs.

 
At 11/24/2007 02:11:00 PM, Blogger Coffeypot said...

Beth, you have left off the most important one from Georgia. He is an old Riverside boy who went to West Fulton and was on American Bandstand back in the early 60's. He is ding gospal now. He is Danny Mote and can be found at http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DannyMote.html

Those early pictures are for high school.

 
At 11/24/2007 02:55:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I will be dancing this mess around shortly! Is Francine Reed from your neck of the woods? I'm just askin'...

 
At 11/24/2007 03:09:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

I didn't even notice Guadalcanal Diary there when I looked through the list before downloading it. I miss them and think they could have stood a lot more recognition, fun fun fun.

 
At 11/25/2007 12:39:00 AM, Blogger KK said...

You're right - Georgia just rocks! Some day I'll detail our musical chops from Mississippi, the home of the blues.

Something about fried chicken and sweet tea just makes us sing better than most in the south......

 
At 11/25/2007 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff (as usual) Hope your Turkey Day was grand :-)

 
At 11/25/2007 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

Ah, Pylon. A staple at our radio station. Of course due to a stint in the south, I recognize a lot of the older bands on your list. Columbia was a hop, skip and jump away. You know, I haven't been there since I graduated and it's kind of weird. I miss it in a very strange way.

 
At 11/25/2007 08:25:00 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Great great party out of bounds. Three cheers to you & Georgia!

I'd forgotten about Guadalcanal Diary~ oorah!!!!!

 
At 11/26/2007 04:42:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Brick is from the ATL? Wow. Gnarls's version of "Gone Daddy Gone" is Junior's favorite version, kids have no appreciation of the classics.

Um, no ARS? You're breaking my heart!

 
At 11/26/2007 04:43:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

And-ddd, no Georgia Satellites???

 
At 11/26/2007 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

You had a party without me?? I didn't think anyone was posting on Friday!

 
At 11/26/2007 07:31:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

This weekend I said "Timberlake" when I meant "Timbaland."

I'm so ashamed.

 
At 11/26/2007 10:14:00 PM, Blogger DJ Andi said...

OMG - I remember RuPaul when we used to go to Weekends. He would pass out invitations to see his show at Illusions. Those were the days I was coming out, but didn't know it. Sometimes we'd hit the 688 Club. Those were the days to go to the clubs. I miss them sometimes.

So I think you hit most of them, but what about Mother's Finest - Piece Of The Rock (that was out pep rally song on Fridays at Henderson High School in DeKalb County) and you also missed the Indigo Girls. Both have some pretty toe tappin tunes.

Don't even get me started about The Producers. I haven't thought about them since I was at Georgia Souther. Anyone remember The Flame? I think it burned down but maybe someone was kidding me. I saw them there in 1982 - they were awesome.

Are you sure you are not the original DJ from Georgia? I think you are. You Rock!!!

 
At 11/27/2007 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

One of my first blog posts a couple years back was an analysis of Kanye West's Gold Digger. I'm still a little confused by the lyrics, but it's a long story...

 
At 11/28/2007 01:29:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I love the history lesson, doll. I had no idea that many of today's rappers are from Georgia. I also didn't know that Elton John was. Too camp.

 
At 11/29/2007 01:28:00 AM, Blogger So I've Been Laid Off said...

i was pouting about no Pylon until i came across Pylon. but now i'm pouting because nothing will download. help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats