29 February 2008

Mix Tape Friday: I Wanna Rawk!

We’ve been swooning and sobbing over love for the last two weeks. Always interesting — but I’m getting antsy. It’s time to rawk — and we’re bustin’ out the jams with alternative bands covering rock classics. (You know I love covers.)

Announcing the First Mix Tape Friday Contest!

And it’s an easy one: E-mail me the list of original artists for each of these forty songs. All winning entries go into the pot. If I draw your name, you win a chance to co-produce the March 14 mix tape. The e-mail address is on the navbar. Can you stand the excitement?

Loosen up those neck muscles, kids, because you’re getting ready to bang the head.



Dave Grohl :: Stairway to Heaven

Scissor Sisters :: Comfortably Numb

Of Montreal :: Suffragette City

Bryan Ferry :: Sympathy for the Devil

Stone Temple Pilots :: Revolution

Fishbone :: Shattered

The Flaming Lips :: Bohemian Rhapsody

The Cardigans :: Iron Man

Bauhaus :: Ziggy Stardust

The Ramones :: Time Has Come Today

Pearl Jam :: Baba O’Riley

The Replacements :: Jumping Jack Flash

Kristin Hersh :: When the Levee Breaks

The Decemberists :: Think About Me

Aztec Camera :: Jump

Seu Jorge :: Life on Mars?

R.E.M. :: Tusk

Lily Allen :: Mr. Blue Sky

Elvis Costello :: All You Need Is Love

Liz Phair :: Emotional Rescue

Everclear :: The Boys Are Back in Town

Buzzcocks :: Ballroom Blitz

Rage Against the Machine :: Street Fighting Man

Devo :: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

U2 :: Radar Love

Sleater-Kinney :: White Rabbit

Ted Leo :: Dancing in the Dark

Soup Dragons :: I’m Free

The Cure :: Young Americans

Wilco :: Paranoid

World Party :: All the Young Dudes

Sheryl Crow :: Squeeze Box

The Stranglers :: All Day and All of the Night

The Hold Steady :: Against the Wind

Belle & Sebastian :: (Don’t Fear) The Reaper

Jay Farrar :: Like a Hurricane

Joe Jackson :: Oh Well

R.E.M. :: D.O.A.

The Pogues :: Honky Tonk Women

Oasis :: My Generation



Too jittery from contest excitement? Download the zip file and conserve that right-click energy.

These covers are interesting. Some are very true to the original, such as Jay Farrar’s “Like a Hurricane” and Joe Jackson’s “Oh Well.” Others, like Aztec’s Camera’s wonderful “Jump” (way before Nouvelle Vague and Richard Cheese) and Scissor Sisters’ “Comfortably Numb,” become an entirely different song.

I crack up every time I listen to R.E.M.’s "D.O.A." cover (performed at NYC’s Peppermint Lounge, Halloween 1983). As Michael says in the introduction, it’s probably the worst song ever written. It was my fav-o-rite song in eighth grade. Zandra Wonoski (didn’t every girl have a friend named Zandra in junior high?) and I thought we were so frickin’ cool listening to it — and I had the original and the live albums. Listening to the drumbeat slow as his heart slows and dies was just awesome … when you were thirteen in 1972.

I adore musicians who sing a lot of cover tunes — and Dave Grohl may win the prize as the most prolific and most brilliant. I have him covering everone from Creed and The Spice Girls to "Baker Street" and Prince — and I don’t spend much time searching for his songs. He’s so adorable. Show of hands of everyone who’s crushing on Grohl?

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , , , ,

25 Comments:

At 2/29/2008 09:09:00 AM, Blogger kfluff said...

No contest for me; I'll leave it to your more qualified readers. But can I just say that you're psychic?! I was just thinking about that Soup Dragons song the other day and wondering where I could get it. Awesome!!

 
At 2/29/2008 11:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love covers. I shared the list with my buddy who is a cover song authority. He says:

"She didn't include the Bangles "September Gurls", Dino Jr.'s "Just Like Heaven" or the Lemonheads' "Luka"; what what she thinking? (Let alone Matthew Sweet's live versions of "Magnet and Steel" and "Do Ya".)"

 
At 2/29/2008 11:23:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I always loved the Soup Dragons cover, although I don't love cover songs in general that much. I guess it depends on who's being covered and who's doing the covering.

I just sounded like Captain Obvious there.

Anyway, "Divine Thing" by the Soup Dragons is still one of my favorite underappreciated songs. I may have to post that video soon.

I will take a stab at the original artists WITHOUT Googling any.

 
At 2/29/2008 11:28:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I just used Google to make sure that I was right about the original singer of "Like a Hurricane." I was right. The only reason I was having problems is because the tune for John Hiatt's "Loving a Hurricane" keeps going through my head and I can't think of the other one!

There are 3 titles on this list giving me trouble. I'm gonna have to listen to the covers to maybe help me out. I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow when I have time to go on a downloading frenzy.

 
At 2/29/2008 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't alive in 1972, but I approve of your musical tastes. Bauhaus, oooaaah. Been a while since I heard that one. Nice mix.

In the same spirit, from a great collection of Cole Porter cover songs, here's Iggy Pop and Blondie singing Did You Evah?

"I hear they dismantled Pickfair."

 
At 2/29/2008 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also: Something goes horribly wrong in the middle of Wilco's Paranoid. This static pop thing just made yelp at work.

My favorite cover may be Ivy's cover of the Cure's Let's Go to Bed. Seek it out if you haven't heard it.

 
At 2/29/2008 11:59:00 AM, Blogger mellowlee said...

I really heart cover songs, and I really really heart David Grohl! He was on The Hour a few months ago. T'was an excellent interview!

 
At 2/29/2008 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

Very cool list. For the longest time I was convinced "Jump" actually was first written by Aztec Camera. But then a metal friend of mine in college corrected me.

 
At 2/29/2008 04:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double damn your databitch. I just got home antsy to download, burn, and rock this list, but Ms. Popular has exceeded her recently expanded bandwidth. Santa just said sorry kids Can't open your presents till the 27th. As usual, this looks like an amazing collection. I'll just have to make do with the "doing it" mix. Hope your Friday is excellent.

 
At 3/01/2008 02:46:00 AM, Blogger lulu said...

Drat, Databitch is already overextended. Maybe tomorrow.
I heart heart heart cover songs, and I heart heart heart you!

 
At 3/01/2008 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great list! I love Aztec Camera's version of Jump. It makes me want to wear polyester.

 
At 3/01/2008 04:34:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's my kind of list!

 
At 3/01/2008 07:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love me some Mr. Grohl. You should check out The Whigs if you haven't heard them. To my ears, they sound more like the Foo Fighters than the Foo Fighters do!

 
At 3/02/2008 01:52:00 PM, Blogger Sean Wraight said...

Wow Beth, Belle and Sebastian covered Don't Fear the Reaper? Talk about inconsistencies huh? I really look forward to hearing that one. But where are the Replacements? Their cover of Kiss' Black Diamond is primo and would have fit well with your theme. ;-) Your inclusion of Ted Leo more than makes up for that! (Look for his amazing version of Rush's Spirit of the Radio sometime.)

Amazing job as always Beth. You never fail to impress and amaze!

s

 
At 3/02/2008 07:31:00 PM, Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

I love the scissor sisters. This is a kick ass contest. Naive moment for Katie... I had no idea anyone dared cover stairway to heaven. Live and learn, child.

 
At 3/03/2008 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Earl Cootie said...

I love covers, and I can't wait to listen to these. I finally remembered to pop over here early enough in the a.m. before all the bandwidth has run out of the can. But, drat, now I've got to go to work. Oh, well. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

 
At 3/03/2008 03:41:00 PM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Cool old-school rockin' list. And of course, the Foo Fighters are the most awesome band ever! (Now I'm off to check out The Whigs, per kim's suggestion.)

 
At 3/03/2008 04:04:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

What I want to know is... have you uploaded all of your CDs to iTunes? And, if so, how long did that take?

 
At 3/03/2008 10:28:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wow, ya go away for a weekend and a contest breaks out! I shall have to hunker down and win this thing!

And I definitely must check out the Belle and Sebastian and the Buzzcocks offerings.

 
At 3/04/2008 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

*Gasp* Is it too late to join the contest? Co-producing with you would be a dream come true. :)

 
At 3/04/2008 08:52:00 AM, Blogger jasonfred said...

Thanks for being the first commenter on my blog. I love this list, as I am somewhat of a cover junkie. BTW, there is a new t-shirt tuesday post, and YES this time I did include a photo

 
At 3/04/2008 08:37:00 PM, Blogger Pezda's Ghost said...

I can only get about half of these off the top of my head. Is internet research allowed? I've mentioned my love of covers in the past, but I'm unfamiliar with many of these, excellent.

 
At 3/04/2008 10:07:00 PM, Blogger Johnny Yen said...

This is funny-- I've been working on a post about covers that I love. Great minds think alike. Or is it sick minds...

 
At 3/05/2008 05:50:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

Katie - there is an Aussie album, called Stairways to Heaven, that is entirely made up of covers of Stairway to Heaven.

In fact, in trying to find a link to show you that album, I have unearthed a site with 101 versions!

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/05/stairways_to_he.html

 
At 3/05/2008 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Eebie said...

mountjoy, the site is spectacular, freakin incredible!

Beth, I love Dave Grohl's
"instrumental" - too much. Fund contest, I hope I win. I 've been daydreaming about what I'd do for a theme - latin is very my style
...alas fingers and toes are crossed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats