16 June 2008

A Slack-assed Blogger Fakes a Meme

Yeah, I know. I haven’t been e-round. My recent life has been a circus — professionally and personally — so I haven’t been able to find an hour to write all the posts in my head. Plus, my PC is being rather uncooperative lately. I went three days without e-mail access!

Excuses, excuses.

To get me back in the blogworld, I thought I’d answer this e-mail from my sister on the page. Play along if you wish.

Were you named after anyone?
My mother got the slightly unusual spelling of my first name from the actress Lizabeth Scott, who starred in Loving You with Elvis. My middle name comes from my great-grandmother who raised my mother.

When was the last time you cried?
This morning, after seeing Tim Russert’s son on Today. And ten minutes later over something personal.

Do you like your handwriting?
Somewhat. I like my g and 8, which I copied from the person who most influenced me: Mrs. Barrett, school newspaper advisor and toughest teacher I ever had. I’d love to find her so I could tell her how well I've done with everything she taught me.

What’s your favorite lunch meat?
Very rare roast beef or that pressed turkey in a package.

Do you have kids?
Two cats, one boyfriend, no children

If you were another person, would you be friends with you?
Yep. I’m a lot of fun and I’m loyal to my beloveds. I occasionally rank an eight on the High-maintenance Meter — but what interesting woman doesn't?

Do you use sarcasm a lot?
Definitely; it's my family's language. I had to learn how to dial it back during the Beloved Ex era; who knew sarcasm could be hurtful?

Do you still have your tonsils?
Yep; appendix and virginity, too.

Would you bungee jump?
Absolutely. French and I almost did at a WRAS music festival in 1992, after a great set by the Soup Dragons. We were quite drunk on some alcoholic lemonade, and jumped the bungee way. It closed down as we got to the line, so we missed our chance.

Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
Nope. Why waste time on something unnecessary when I could be dancing?

Do you think you’re strong?
Yes. The Beloved Ex says I'm the strongest person he knows. And he'd know.

What’s the first thing you notice about a person?
The eyes. Or her baubles/his height.

Red or pink?
Depends on how it’s used.

What’s your least favorite thing about your body?
The excess junk in my trunk and my too-short legs.

Who do you miss the most?
OM

What color pants and shoes are you wearing?
No pants; I’m wearing a darling green print sundress. The shoes? Adorable two-inch strappy sandals. And you should see the baubles: recycled glass from Coke bottles!

How about your shirt?
Turquoise T-shirt. It looks fabulous with the green print sundress.

What’s the last thing you ate?
Currently munching on a salad while dreaming of cookies.

What are you listening to right now?
R.E.M.’s Accelerate — and getting pumped for this Saturday’s show!

Who’s the last person you spoke to on the phone?
Favorite Boy, late last night

If you were a crayon, which color would you be?
Periwinkle

What’s your favorite smell?
Favorite Boy — because if I can smell him, he’s in town. If he’s three states away at home, then it’s the scent of a spring rain I most enjoy sniffing.

What’s your favorite sport to watch?
Is Project Runway considered a sport? If not, then baseball.

What color is your hair?
Black, with more shoots of gray every year. I’m going for the Susan Sontag/Bride of Frankenstein look.

What color are your eyes?
Hazel — or as I like to describe them, green with freckles.

Do you wear contacts?
Since my freshman year in high school. I am one blind blogger without ‘em. The Beloved Ex used to enjoy taking away my glasses and quizzing me on what I could see (not much, unless I was living in an impressionist universe).

Favorite food?
YES! God, I love food (see: the excess junk in my trunk). Thai’s probably my favorite; Italian is my comfort food.

What’s your favorite cereal?
I tell people Cheerios (especially this time of year because I can put fresh peaches on top) — but it’s really Cap’n Crunch. I haven’t spooned the Cap’n in four or five years, sadly; it's not on the approved Weighty Waddlers list.

What’s your favorite ice cream?
Häagen-Dazs Coffee Heath Bar Crunch (which is hard to find) or Vanilla Swiss Almond (with hot fudge or Magic Shell drenching the top)

Favorite dessert?
Cake or cookies with buttercream frosting

Scary movies or happy endings?
Happy endings. I’m such a wuss over scary movies — unless Bruce Campbell is starring in it.

What’s the last movie you watched?
Bridget Jones’s Diary on Bravo over the weekend. If it’s on, I must watch.

What book are you reading now?
David Sedaris’ new collection, When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Busted out laughing twice while reading it on the bus this morning.

Summer or winter?
I’m really a spring/fall chick. Of the two queried above, I’ll pick winter any day. I hate the heat; I get whiny and bitchy and irritable when the humidity hits.

Hugs or kisses?
Yes … oh, God, yes.

What’s on your mouse pad?
Don’t use one; I surf barebacked.

What did you watch on TV last night?
The neverending Tim Russert coverage on MSNBC. I adored Tim Russert; his death hit me hard.

What’s your favorite sound?
Someone laughing over something I said. Or the opening note of an R.E.M. show.

Rolling Stones or Beatles?
Can’t pick one over the other; they’re both brilliant.

What’s the farthest you’ve been from home?
Europe. Of the countries I’ve visitied, I guess Italy’s the farthest away from Atlanta.

Do you have a special talent?
Yes; just ask Favorite Boy. Seriously, I’m very comfortable talking in front of an audience, and I can also rhyme on a dime and whip up a song parody in no time — family traits I’m proud to possess.

Where were you born?
Right here in Atlanta.

Who do you want to answer these questions?
Every damn one of you!

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

26 Comments:

At 6/16/2008 03:04:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

Great post. I feel I know you better. My family is a Coca-Cola family from generations back, so it was a big deal when we visited the musuem in Atlanta a few years ago.

FYI - "Superman" cam on my iPod this morning while running at the health club. I perfectly lip-synched every line.

 
At 6/16/2008 03:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed you and your posts!

And now I want something with buttercream frosting on it.

 
At 6/16/2008 04:27:00 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I know I've most likely asked before, but what exactly are baubles? Google tells me they are xmas ornaments...somehow I think that's wrong.

 
At 6/16/2008 06:13:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

You risky bareback surfer you! Nice to see you if not smell you again!

 
At 6/16/2008 07:08:00 PM, Blogger Chancelucky said...

I thought no one was allowed to be neutral on that Stones vs. Beatles question.

 
At 6/16/2008 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

Great to see you back in action, Beth. It was getting a little bit TOO long...

 
At 6/16/2008 11:29:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I loved this post. Like Grant Miller said, I feel like I know you a little better now.

 
At 6/17/2008 01:15:00 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Cool, good to see you back ;->

 
At 6/17/2008 08:27:00 AM, Blogger Marni said...

You had me cracking up over these!

 
At 6/17/2008 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

"spooned the Cap’n"

Sounds oddly erotic.

 
At 6/17/2008 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Wow, that's good meme...

"Don’t use one; I surf barebacked."

I'll have to remedy that.

 
At 6/17/2008 05:21:00 PM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Rolling Stones or Beatles?

My answer to this question is always "Led Zeppelin."

 
At 6/17/2008 05:43:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Hopefully, the hullabaloo in your work and home lifes isn't keeping you from what's really important: taking time out of every day to think about me.

 
At 6/17/2008 06:40:00 PM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

OK, I will play. I shall get to work on it soon!

And, it is good to hear from you and I hope things go better for you soon.

 
At 6/17/2008 06:48:00 PM, Blogger Some Guy said...

I was beginning to think something was plugging up the intronet tubes around ATL. More! MORE!

 
At 6/17/2008 10:53:00 PM, Blogger thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I love buttercream frosting! And the news re: Tim Russert was oddly quite difficult to take.

I saw REM last week w/ Modest Mouse and The National. Great show -- Stipe was amazing.

 
At 6/17/2008 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you're back! So...what's the frequency, Beth?

Cool meme. Wish I had time to do it.

Peace,
Pagan

 
At 6/17/2008 11:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah! beth's back!! life is sweet.

 
At 6/18/2008 12:37:00 AM, Blogger Mix Tape Girl said...

Ok I accept your meme call out. I've posted my answers at AD's place. BTW I'm so with you on Thai food.

 
At 6/18/2008 09:37:00 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Periwinkle - excellent crayon choice! Does anybody still use mouse pads?

I may just have to play along, once I have time to do some regular blogging again as well.

Did I hear you say REM show this Saturday? I will be thinking of you in your element, although it's a shame you won't be able to join the Marthas then.

 
At 6/18/2008 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

GRANT MILLER: You need to come back to town to see the NEW World of Coca-Cola. As a member of a longtime Coke family myself, I’ll gladly take y’all on the tour and share my family’s special KO moments. (p.s. Glad you “Superman”’ed all over the gym.)

DCUP: I’ve missed reading yours! Still trying to catch up between now and your visit to NYC. I guess you’re staying?

ALLISON: Baubles = jewelry, as in the song “Baubles, Bangles, and Beads,” first heard in the musical Kismet, often heard from my lips in the weeks leading up to Christmas and my birthday.

DALE: I’m working on developing the first scratch ‘n’ sniff blog; stay tuned and sniffling.

CHANCELUCKY: “Neutral” is not what I’d call my Stones vs. Beatles answer; I’m quite passionate about both bands. There will never be a pop songwriting duo like Lennon and McCartney; you can still hear their influence today. It’s amazing how those songs have stood the test of forty years; only a couple sound dated today. And then you get into their rock period, beginning with Rubber Soul; those eight or nine albums are brilliant, influential, still relevant. BUT. You cannot discount The Rolling Stones. There has never been an artist who can command a stage better than Mick Jagger. Keef is the standard for musician cool, even if he scares little children (and scaredy-cat adults) today. Their decade of releases beginning with 1967’s Flowers ranks among the best streak of any artist recording in the rock era. They took the blues and made it something new. So: I cannot choose a preference among the two.

 
At 6/18/2008 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

MOUNTJOY: I know. I missed my e-life, but I just couldn’t find a way back in until this week.

BUBS: It’s the Cap’n Crunch confession, isn’t it? Now you answer!

ERIK DONALD FRANCE: Good to be back. I need to hit your spot today to see what happened on this day.

MARNI: That’s the goal, cuz.

BLOWING SHIT UP WITH GAS: It is, BWUWG. Again, see the excess junk in my trunk.

 
At 6/18/2008 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

WRITE PROCRASTINATOR: I throw the semi-meme challenge to you, dear friend! You’re gonna remedy me? Sweet!

BECKEYE: A friend saw Robert Plant and Allison Krauss at Bonnaroo over the weekend, and said their Led Zepp covers were fab. (Actually, I don’t think Scrivener used the word “fab,” but I like remaking my friends in my own vernacular image.)

PISTOLS AT DAWN: I schedule a block of 15 minutes twice a day for that. Usually, my mind tries to wrap itself around the idea that someone still enjoys Journey records.

SKYLER’S DAD: I loved your answers, Plaid Crayon Man! And I’m glad you missed me.

SOME GUY: Haven’t you heard how bad traffic is in Atlanta? It even affects the Internet.

 
At 6/18/2008 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

THIRD WORST POET IN THE GALAXY: I get to see my beloveds on Saturday — and I cannot wait!!! I’ve been reading that Stipe is quite funny and personable on stage for this tour.

PAGAN SPHINX: Excellent use of an R.E.M. lyric!

M: Sweet as buttercream frosting, my friend.

MIX TAPE GIRL: I need to get over and read it!

BARBARA BRUEDERLIN: I would love to read your answers. So sorry I’ll have to miss this Martha Weekend … but I cannot miss my beloveds, as you can understand.

 
At 6/18/2008 04:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah lovely girl - it's good to see you back, even if we only get to see you virtually. though i am a diehard stones fan, i appreciated your argument above. now stop disappearing on us. we need to live vicariously through you.

 
At 6/21/2008 01:51:00 AM, Blogger Moxie said...

Finally have some time to catch up on blogs while letting the mint julep facial mask dry. So many of your answers are similar to what mine would be. I'll have to do this meme myself so I can get in some more blog posts over the next couple of weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats