28 March 2006

May God’s love be with you always

Once every year or two, a song comes out that strikes a chord deep in my soul. The kind of song that makes me stop, shut out everything and just listen. The kind of song that must be listened to for an hour straight. The kind of song that’s best heard while driving alone on a rainy night.

This year, that song is Michael Stipe’s cover of Joseph Arthur’s “In the Sun.”

Now, you know I’m biased about anything from R.E.M., together or separately, but this tune deserves special recognition. Not only is it a great song, but all proceeds going to Gulf Coast relief. You can buy it only through iTunes, and I recommend the entire EP. Your radio station isn’t cool enough to play “In the Sun”? You can sample the track here. Great music for a great cause; is there a better way to spend $4.95?

Michael’s voice is perfect for this song, especially when it’s just him and that piano by the Fountains of Wayne guy. It’s all my soul needs. I get a little irritated when Chris Martin joins in; Coldplay bores me these days.

BTW, Joseph Arthur is a great songwriter and artist. I have a couple of his albums, including the one with his original “In the Sun." Be sure to check him out.

* * * * * *

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3/29/2006 01:27:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I'm (almost) embarrassed to say how much I love, love, LOVE R.E.M. ... but most of my blog readers already know that. Coldplay had some good songs on their previous albums, but this one just bores me.

 
At 3/29/2006 03:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blame Gwyneth Paltrow.

 
At 3/29/2006 03:25:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

That stick would bore me into monotony ... but I'm waiting on your glorious ravings about Mr. Stipe.

 
At 4/01/2006 03:38:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

I basically agree that Coldplay's not so exciting. But their Austin City Limits show, where Stipe joined in, was pretty good. You can find MP3s of the entire show, including the duet with Chris Martin and Stipe, except for "Into the Sun" here if you're interested.

 
At 4/01/2006 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I watched Coldplay's "Austin City Limits" three or four times, and I must admit I enjoyed it every time. Their latest album is the only one that bores me; not sure if it's the hype or I'm just not into them any more. Thanks for the link! Enjoyed your Minus 5 review, BTW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats