30 March 2006

Selig launches steroid investigation

CNN Breaking News: Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announces former U.S. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to head probe of steroid use in baseball.

How happy I was to read that e-mail this afternoon! I hate Barry Bonds, and I hope they kick him out of the game. I can’t stand his “it’s all about me, not the team” attitude. He was cute back in his Pirates days, but he’s a bulked-up freak now. I keep watching for an arm to rip off during a homerun swing, like a Monty Python skit; wouldn’t that be cool?

It ticks me off that Bond is just six or seven homers away from breaking Babe Ruth’s record. That big fat cheater (notice how skillfully I’m using sports lingo) is getting much too close breaking to Hank Aaron’s record. And that will be a dark day for me.

Hank Aaron broke Babe’s record fair and square. He didn’t shoot himself up with a cocktail of steroids and banned substances. He played for years, he chased the record, he earned each of those 755 homeruns. And he's a good guy — he still loves the game, and he gives a lot to his community.

Hank Aaron is one of my all-time heroes. As a kid in Atlanta in 1966, you couldn’t help but love that first Atlanta Braves team: Hank Aaron and Felipe Alou, Joe Torre and Rico Carty, Eddie Mathews and Clete Boyer. Felipe Alou was my personal favorite back then, but Hammerin’ Hank was the king — and still is. (In fact, if I ever decide to buy a BMW, I’m buying it from Hank.)

Please, Mr. Selig and Mr. Mitchell, please ban Barry Bonds from baseball. Let him join Pete Rose in baseball limbo.

* * * * * *

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 07:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't followed baseball in many a year but your comments seem right on the money to me.

 
At 3/30/2006 07:45:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Hank rules. Bonds blows. 'nuff said.

 
At 3/30/2006 09:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your newly found talent for writing sports is amazing. It makes me want to scratch inappropriatly in front of thousands of people, rut around in the dirt, and spit often. And I do agree that Barry Bonds is a jerk and Hammering Hank rules.

 
At 3/30/2006 09:44:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

If I can move you to scratch and spit, I think I'm ready for "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel." Thanks for recognizing my brilliance.

 
At 3/31/2006 09:16:00 AM, Blogger Sling said...

I agrre with you about Barry Bonds,but I think Pete got a raw deal.Good job on the baseball lingo.

 
At 3/31/2006 09:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Beth,you REALLY do sound well informed on baseball... still hard for me to believe old Atlanta/Fulton Co stadium is dust, probably because I never go downtown... Remember when Ted took over as team manager at one point??
And it does seem like team sports is the wrong place for Mr. Bonds ...
Hope your Friday is more like Thursday than Wednesday!
Pardon my blog paragraphs today

 
At 3/31/2006 04:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank heavens for Hank! I was beginning to believe I had gotten on a suicide hot line instead of your blog. Bad part, YOU were the one calling in! You get those sports steroids, Beth Coffey! Right on!

By the way, your "old friend" article was beautiful - absolutely!

 
At 4/01/2006 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

No worries, Judy - you know I'm too much of an optimist to head down that road. But I will be PISSED if Barry Bonds gets close to Hank's record!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats