Tonight’s Top 10: Beth's Sexiest Songs
It’s spring, and I’m giddy and distracted and excited … so what better time for my list of sexiest songs?
10. Stevie Wonder: Boogie on, Reggae Woman. Stevie almost has a growl in this song, one that really gets my blood racing. And what's sexier than lyrics such as "I'd like to do it to you/Till you holla for more" or "I'd like to see you naked/Under the stars above"? [Edited after receiving some great comments today.]
9. Gregg Allman: I’m No Angel. I’m no fan of ink, but when Gregg growls “Come and let me show you my tattoo,” damn, I want to look. He’s the bad boy we couldn’t stay away from in high school.
8. R.E.M.: Turn You Inside-out. What a sexy rock song! Peter's grinding guitar gives me goosebumps and makes my mind wander, and Michael's lyrics make me feel bad and naughty — in a good way. Because, believe me, "I could turn you inside-out." [Edited after receiving some great comments today.]
7. Big Star: Thirteen. In two and a half minutes, Alex Chilton takes me back to that feeling of first love, that thrill of knowing I was liked back. Wilco did an amazing cover for an Alex Chilton tribute album that never saw the light of day; it’s worth looking for (or checking with me for a copy).
6. Bruce Springsteen: Tunnel of Love. “Gotta ride down, baby, into this tunnel of love.” ‘Nuff said.
5. R.E.M.: Perfect Circle. “Pull your dress on and stay real close.” The lyrics ... his voice ... the music … mmmmmm. That line and the near-striptease didn’t work the way Renae and I hoped one Athens New Year’s Eve … but I was wearing the party dress with the naughty rose, so the night was still good and fun and free.
4. Al Green: Love and Happiness. “Something that can make you do wrong, make you do right.” Ain’t that the truth. This is arguably Al’s best, most soulful, sexiest song — and that’s saying a lot.
3. Nina Simone: Feeling Good. That voice. That’s sex, baby. Makes me want to slip on black silk stockings and heels, and strut slow and sexy across the room.
2. Jeff Buckley: So Real. Damn, this song is full of passion. And it even has a kick-ass guitar solo, one that conveys longing and passion and frustration. I go weak in the knees when he whispers, “I love you … but I’m afraid to love you.” I play this song over and over and over when I’m getting ready for a date.
And Beth’s sexiest song is (drum roll, Anton):
1. Dave Matthews Band: Crash into Me. I’m not a DM fan at all — most of his songs kind of bore me — but not this one. I cannot listen to this song and focus on anything else. I love how Dave’s voice drops into that sexy, horny-boy octave when he sings “Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me.”
OK, list some of the songs that tingle your spine in the Comments section, and we'll debate their sexiness.
* * * * * *