02 April 2006

Tonight’s Top 10: Beth's Sexiest Songs

It’s spring, and I’m giddy and distracted and excited … so what better time for my list of sexiest songs?

10. Stevie Wonder: Boogie on, Reggae Woman. Stevie almost has a growl in this song, one that really gets my blood racing. And what's sexier than lyrics such as "I'd like to do it to you/Till you holla for more" or "I'd like to see you naked/Under the stars above"? [Edited after receiving some great comments today.]

9. Gregg Allman: I’m No Angel. I’m no fan of ink, but when Gregg growls “Come and let me show you my tattoo,” damn, I want to look. He’s the bad boy we couldn’t stay away from in high school.

8. R.E.M.: Turn You Inside-out. What a sexy rock song! Peter's grinding guitar gives me goosebumps and makes my mind wander, and Michael's lyrics make me feel bad and naughty — in a good way. Because, believe me, "I could turn you inside-out." [Edited after receiving some great comments today.]

7. Big Star: Thirteen. In two and a half minutes, Alex Chilton takes me back to that feeling of first love, that thrill of knowing I was liked back. Wilco did an amazing cover for an Alex Chilton tribute album that never saw the light of day; it’s worth looking for (or checking with me for a copy).

6. Bruce Springsteen: Tunnel of Love. “Gotta ride down, baby, into this tunnel of love.” ‘Nuff said.

5. R.E.M.: Perfect Circle. “Pull your dress on and stay real close.” The lyrics ... his voice ... the music … mmmmmm. That line and the near-striptease didn’t work the way Renae and I hoped one Athens New Year’s Eve … but I was wearing the party dress with the naughty rose, so the night was still good and fun and free.

4. Al Green: Love and Happiness. “Something that can make you do wrong, make you do right.” Ain’t that the truth. This is arguably Al’s best, most soulful, sexiest song — and that’s saying a lot.

3. Nina Simone: Feeling Good. That voice. That’s sex, baby. Makes me want to slip on black silk stockings and heels, and strut slow and sexy across the room.

2. Jeff Buckley: So Real. Damn, this song is full of passion. And it even has a kick-ass guitar solo, one that conveys longing and passion and frustration. I go weak in the knees when he whispers, “I love you … but I’m afraid to love you.” I play this song over and over and over when I’m getting ready for a date.

And Beth’s sexiest song is (drum roll, Anton):

1. Dave Matthews Band: Crash into Me. I’m not a DM fan at all — most of his songs kind of bore me — but not this one. I cannot listen to this song and focus on anything else. I love how Dave’s voice drops into that sexy, horny-boy octave when he sings “Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me.”

OK, list some of the songs that tingle your spine in the Comments section, and we'll debate their sexiness.

* * * * * *

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

At 4/02/2006 10:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay--I give, I'm not hip, who IS Nina Simone??
And by the way I think I married that bad boy from high school, sans tatoo...but nobody had tatoos in the 70's except for real sailors

 
At 4/02/2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Check your inbox, Holly. And I'll bring you Nina's greatest hits when we next get together for dinner.

And, yep, you did marry "I'm No Angel" ... who knew he'd grow up to be the good guy?

So, which songs tingle your spine?

 
At 4/02/2006 11:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere Prince is shedding a single tear.

I agree with your Jeff Buckley and Dave Matthews picks though. --A lot of DMB's songs are kind of tedious but when he bucks up and gets sincere you can tell he means it.

 
At 4/03/2006 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Prince almost made my list with "Take Me With U" -- but I'd already used the "it was a moment" with the R.E.M. tune. I seriously considered him, but "Groove Me" knocked him out. And I'm too much of a chick of the '70s to hide my Gregg Allman fixation.

Which Prince song do you find sexiest?

 
At 4/03/2006 01:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I was afraid you'd ask me that. The guy puts a seduction ballad on every record so I'd have to go back and look. --I'll go with a strange choice off the top of my head: "Scandalous" from (of all things) the Batman soundtrack. Not only is it sexy but it has a peculiarly ominous undercurrent. Somehow it works.

 
At 4/03/2006 07:07:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

I just downloaded "Scandalous," so I'll listen to it today and see if I get a tingle.

 
At 4/03/2006 09:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for Prince, check out "Dance Music Sex Romance", from the "Risky Business" soundtrack

 
At 4/03/2006 09:55:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

I forgot about "DMSR" - and that's one of my favorite Prince tunes. Thanks, hip Holly!

 
At 4/03/2006 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Here's a few from a former bad boy WITH tattoos, turned good boy:

The entire Mezzanine album, especially Teardrop - Massive Attack (you can hear some samples over on Amazon)

Tommorrow - Morrissey

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak

 
At 4/03/2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Oooh ... my favorite inked boy reminds me of "Wicked Game"! And R.E.M. did a great cover of that several years ago ...

 
At 4/03/2006 01:04:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

DANG! How could I forget "Boogie on, Reggae Woman," one of my all-time favorite songs? And I couldn't narrow down the Marvin Gayes to just one, so I left him off.

The Gladys and Bill Withers tunes are more romantic than sexy to me, but I love 'em!

 
At 4/03/2006 06:35:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

Guerilla Blogger, after reading today's post, I think "Linger" is a perfect choice for you.

 
At 4/03/2006 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

I cheated and revised my list. Y'all have listed some great choices today, and I've been thinking of and listening to sexy tunes all day ...

 
At 4/03/2006 08:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I know we are not total Dave Matthews Band fans, but another dreamy one of his on Crash is "Say Goodbye". Read the lyrics

". . .But tonight let's be lovers, We kiss and sweat We'll turn this better thing To the best
Of all we can offer, Just a rogue kiss Tangled tongues and lips. . ."
Here are the full lyrics

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/d/davematthewsbandlyrics/saygoodbyelyrics.html

The whole song is totally hot. Check it.

 
At 4/04/2006 01:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know i can't resist 'sexual healing' or 'almost hear you sigh'

 
At 4/04/2006 05:03:00 PM, Blogger a said...

Stevie Wonder "I Believe"

done! =^P

 
At 4/18/2006 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir Phycho Sexy from the album
Blood Sugar Sex Magik by The Red Hot Chili Peppers is the rudest/ sexiest song ever written!! Anthony Kiedis..mmmmmmmmm!!

 
At 4/13/2007 07:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And let's not forget "Feelin' Love" by Paula Cole. :-)))

 
At 3/25/2008 05:05:00 AM, Blogger raoulle said...

Hey thanks for all the suggestions here.... I've put together a mash of all the sexiest music clips on YouTube I could get from this list and others like it. It's here at

http://raoulleraoulle.googlepages.com/musicamour

enjoy the viewing listening :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats