21 December 2006

Christmas Time Is Here

That moment I wait for every Christmas season … the reason I eagerly rush to my mailbox each evening, with the excited glow of a kid approaching Santa’s lap … finally came last night: my R.E.M. fan club Christmas package.

It was late arriving this year, so there was a bit of nervous nailbiting this week. Had they forgotten me? Did they not love me anymore? No, the boys in Athens were just as late as I was in getting out their Christmas packages.


The 2007 calendar is fab, but I was hoping for a rarity on the CD. It’s still quite good: two live performances — “So. Central Rain” and “Begin the Begin” from the 40 Watt show just before the Georgia Music Hall of Fame show — and two Athens bands covering R.E.M. tunes.

Happy Christmas. My boys still love me.

Today’s Christmas Playlist

R.E.M.: Parade of the Wooden Soldiers
Guster: Donde Esta Santa Claus?
R.E.M.: Ghost Reindeers in the Sky
My Morning Jacket: Santa Claus Is Back in Town
R.E.M.: Silver Bells
Labrea Stompers: You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
R.E.M.: Christmas Time Is Here
eels: Christmas Is Going to the Dogs
R.E.M.: Toyland
Flaming Lips: White Christmas

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 04:01:00 PM, Blogger barista brat said...

i had no idea your boys were so wonderful to their fans!

where will you hang the calendar?

 
At 12/21/2006 04:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you going to hang the calendar near your passport?

snort.

 
At 12/21/2006 09:20:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Nice fan club package Beth and nice to see R.E.M. returning a little love for the holidays. You should have your own satellite radio show with all these great tunes you know!

 
At 12/21/2006 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Well, now I'm smacking myself for never joining the fan club.

 
At 12/21/2006 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Nice petite cadet. I think we should all chip in and get you some R.E.M. underwear! (joke)

 
At 12/22/2006 12:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog from a Google alert...I got my package today too--isn't the calendar wonderful? No artsy, blurry photos this year (and I'm a Berry fan, so you *know* I'm a happy little person!)

Ah yes, it isn't Christmas until Mike belts out Silver Bells...and let's not forget Christmas Griping...one of my favorites! The holidays aren't really here until I hear Peter mutter about going up on that roof...

 
At 12/22/2006 04:39:00 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

I have another Christmas tune for you. check it out over at The Venture's site.

 
At 12/25/2006 12:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Please give my love to the family!
Love,
Jamey

 
At 12/25/2006 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

Merry Christmas, Beth!

 
At 12/25/2006 09:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Beth.

 
At 12/28/2006 03:10:00 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

I guess you've got all these, but your readers might be interested in rbally's post of R.E.M. holiday songs.

 
At 1/02/2007 10:00:00 PM, Blogger DJ Andi said...

I'm a Christmas music freak. I've got tons of Christmas music but I have never hear R.E.M. do a Christmas song. Do they have a whole CD of Christmas songs? If so, I must find it.

I think the Mr. Grinch version you have listed is the one I have been looking for. I'll have to find it and see.

Also, kind of surprised you did not have "Walking Round In Women's Underwear" on your playlist. It's really festive.

Enjoy your calendar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats