18 March 2008

Let’s Play Crazy 8s!

Miss Alex at Fonzie Sox has been patiently awaiting my response to her meme tag — and this is a fun one: Crazy 8s.


8 Things I’m Passionate About
I’m a deep one, aren’t I?
1. R.E.M.
2. My friends
3. Music
4. Baubles
5. Travel
6. Kissing
7. Beautifully written books, beautifully directed movies
8. Laughter


8 Things I Want to Do Before I Die
I posted a similar list a couple of years ago; some things have changed.
1. Drive across the country without a planned itinerary
2. Write a novel and have it published
3. Live in another city
4. Learn how to play guitar
5. Skydive
6. Travel to Australia and Asia
7. BFF Rob Sheffield
8. Party with the NYC bloggers … the Chicago bloggers … the Toronto bloggers … and everyone in between


8 Things I Often Say
I’m a deep one, aren’t I?
1. “It’s baublicious!”
2. “I love R.E.M.”
3. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to crash into you.”
4. “He curls my toes.”
5. “I adore Michael Stipe.”
6. “One more swirl, please.”
7. “Ohg*ddammit!” [cursed whenever I drop something or bump into something.]
8. “That’s Peter Buck playing guitar on this song.”


8 Books I’ve Read Recently
I don’t read much during annual report season, so I’m listing some of my 2007 faves.
1. Love Is a Mix Tape, Rob Sheffield
2. I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, Crystal Zevon
3. By George, Wesley Stace
4. An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England, Brock Clarke
5. The Yiddish Policemen's Union, Michael Chabon
6. Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul, Karen Abbott
7. Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas , Chuck Klosterman
8. Becoming Abigail, Chris Abani


8 Songs I Could Listen to Over and Over
These are the songs I play when I need to dance myself into a good mood.
1. R.E.M.: “Radio Free Europe”
2. The Replacements: “I Will Dare”
3. Wilco: “Heavy Metal Drummer”
4. Prince: “My Name Is Prince”
5. The Clash: “The Magnificent Seven”
6. Al Green: “Take Me to the River”
7. The Rolling Stones: “Little T&A”
8. Marcy Playground: “Sex and Candy”


8 Things That Attract Me to My Best Friends
I have the grooviest group of friends you could imagine.
1. Their passions
2. Their senses of humor
3. Their intelligence
4. Their creativity (yes, HollyC, even you)
5. Their fearlessness
6. Their silliness
7. Their feigned interest when I yammer on about who’s playing on this record and who else he’s played with
8. Their undying love for and loyalty to me


8 Things That Drive Me Crazy
I added this one; it drove me crazy that there were only seven categories in Crazy 8s.
1. Closed-minded people
2. People who are too politically correct
3. The use of “that” when referring to a person [use “who,” people!]
4. Dates who are late [Favorite Boy is always early. Favorite Boy is a dating doll.]
5. A verb that doesn’t agree with its noun
6. Wearing sandals without polish on the toenails (it’s a Southern thing)
7. Drivers who must come to a complete stop to make a right turn
8. Unnecessary quotation marks


8 People I Think Should Go All Crazy 8s on Us
1. Coffeypot’s Beloved Uncle
2. Eating Chicken Vindaloo’s Mathdude eight it up … a wee bit
3. Haahnster’s Hallucinations’ MIA Boy
4. Intravenus de Milo’s Tony Alva
5. Rants Raves Life etc.’s Artful Dodger, maybe mixing it up with Mix Tape Girl
6. Some Days It's Not Worth Chewing Through the Leather Straps’ Dad of Skyler eight it up!
7. What I Like About the Universe’s Evil Evil Genius eight it up!
8. Write Procrastinator’s Brown Lightning

* * * * * *

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 3/18/2008 12:03:00 AM, Blogger Artful Dodger said...

Looks like I've got work to do. I'll get with MTG and do a joint list. Hopefully ours will be cool like yours.

 
At 3/18/2008 02:13:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"My Name Is Prince," seriously? I can't take any song where someone mentions their name a bunch of times, that includes Mike Jones, M.C. Hammer, etc...

Yet, I am willing to die for your right to listen to Prince repeat his name (does that mean I can make the "best friend list?").

 
At 3/18/2008 11:19:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

I can only imagine if R.E.M. covered "My Name is Prince" and put their own spin on it.

"My name is Stipe, and I am pasty..."

Heh.

 
At 3/18/2008 04:15:00 PM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Love it! You fall into the category of "girls loving REM" in Love is a Mix Tape.

I'd go with all eight in the first category, certainly.

Rock on, rock on, rock on . . .

 
At 3/18/2008 06:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you the girl "that", seriously put " my name is Prince" on the same list as "the Rev. Al" and the immortal "Sex and Candy" . "seriously"

 
At 3/18/2008 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

ARTFUL DODGER: You two can't help but be cool. Have fun eighting it!

WRITE PROCRASTINATOR: You're on the BFF list, Brown Lightning, even though you dare to mock me for "My Name Is Prince."

BECKEYE: No, it's My name is Stipe / And I am groovy. / My best friend Beth / Is f*cking awesome. Yeah, I know it doesn't rhyme — but why mess with the truth?

ERIK DONALD FRANCE: I know! I laughed out loud when I read Rob's line about girls always including R.E.M. on mix tapes ... as I do every damn Friday.

FILEGOD1: I am the girl WHO knows how to pick damn good songs. Did you see "Little T&A"? Keef's fingering at the end ... well, I'll keep that to myself. I do enjoy some "Sex and Candy," I must admit.

 
At 3/18/2008 09:19:00 PM, Blogger Pezda's Ghost said...

I've enjoyed this "little" glimpse into "your" soul. Even though there "is" nothing "too" surprising or "scandalous" to be had.*

*extraneous quotes added for your viewing pleasure.

 
At 3/18/2008 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Eebie said...

Awesome stuff Beth, it's great to know ya better. Can't wait 'til ya come to NY and party with the overworked, overstressed and the rest of the beautiful people.

 
At 3/18/2008 11:15:00 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Like "nails" on a blackboard, when "people" use "unnecessary" quotation marks!

 
At 3/19/2008 11:34:00 AM, Blogger SkylersDad said...

It's up over at my place Beth, thanks!

 
At 3/19/2008 05:59:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

PEZDA'S GHOST: "Thank you," she said, as she cringed over all those unnecessary quotation marks.

EEBIE: I'm going to be up there in mid-June. Think you can join me for a cocktail or seven?

BARBARA BRUEDERLIN: Drive's me as crazy as unnecessary quotation mark's.

SKYLER'S DAD: And it's lovely!

 
At 3/20/2008 05:04:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I actually love coming to a full and complete stop only because I know it pisses off other drivers.

I'm a little passive agrressive.

 
At 3/30/2008 03:19:00 AM, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Finally done, though you are not speaking to me anymore...




...I'll just sit here and cry in the corner...





...no that's okay, thank you, but I have my own Kleenex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats