Let’s Play Crazy 8s!
Miss Alex at Fonzie Sox has been patiently awaiting my response to her meme tag — and this is a fun one: Crazy 8s.
8 Things I’m Passionate About
I’m a deep one, aren’t I?
2. My friends
7. Beautifully written books, beautifully directed movies
8 Things I Want to Do Before I Die
I posted a similar list a couple of years ago; some things have changed.
1. Drive across the country without a planned itinerary
2. Write a novel and have it published
3. Live in another city
4. Learn how to play guitar
6. Travel to Australia and Asia
7. BFF Rob Sheffield
8. Party with the NYC bloggers … the Chicago bloggers … the Toronto bloggers … and everyone in between
8 Things I Often Say
I’m a deep one, aren’t I?
1. “It’s baublicious!”
2. “I love R.E.M.”
3. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to crash into you.”
4. “He curls my toes.”
5. “I adore Michael Stipe.”
6. “One more swirl, please.”
7. “Ohg*ddammit!” [cursed whenever I drop something or bump into something.]
8. “That’s Peter Buck playing guitar on this song.”
8 Books I’ve Read Recently
I don’t read much during annual report season, so I’m listing some of my 2007 faves.
1. Love Is a Mix Tape, Rob Sheffield
2. I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon, Crystal Zevon
3. By George, Wesley Stace
4. An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England, Brock Clarke
5. The Yiddish Policemen's Union, Michael Chabon
6. Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul, Karen Abbott
7. Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas , Chuck Klosterman
8. Becoming Abigail, Chris Abani
8 Songs I Could Listen to Over and Over
These are the songs I play when I need to dance myself into a good mood.
1. R.E.M.: “Radio Free Europe”
2. The Replacements: “I Will Dare”
3. Wilco: “Heavy Metal Drummer”
4. Prince: “My Name Is Prince”
5. The Clash: “The Magnificent Seven”
6. Al Green: “Take Me to the River”
7. The Rolling Stones: “Little T&A”
8. Marcy Playground: “Sex and Candy”
8 Things That Attract Me to My Best Friends
I have the grooviest group of friends you could imagine.
1. Their passions
2. Their senses of humor
3. Their intelligence
4. Their creativity (yes, HollyC, even you)
5. Their fearlessness
6. Their silliness
7. Their feigned interest when I yammer on about who’s playing on this record and who else he’s played with
8. Their undying love for and loyalty to me
8 Things That Drive Me Crazy
I added this one; it drove me crazy that there were only seven categories in Crazy 8s.
1. Closed-minded people
2. People who are too politically correct
3. The use of “that” when referring to a person [use “who,” people!]
4. Dates who are late [Favorite Boy is always early. Favorite Boy is a dating doll.]
5. A verb that doesn’t agree with its noun
6. Wearing sandals without polish on the toenails (it’s a Southern thing)
7. Drivers who must come to a complete stop to make a right turn
8. Unnecessary quotation marks
8 People I Think Should Go All Crazy 8s on Us
1. Coffeypot’s Beloved Uncle
2. Eating Chicken Vindaloo’s Mathdude eight it up … a wee bit
3. Haahnster’s Hallucinations’ MIA Boy
4. Intravenus de Milo’s Tony Alva
5. Rants Raves Life etc.’s Artful Dodger, maybe mixing it up with Mix Tape Girl
6. Some Days It's Not Worth Chewing Through the Leather Straps’ Dad of Skyler eight it up!
7. What I Like About the Universe’s Evil Evil Genius eight it up!
8. Write Procrastinator’s Brown Lightning
* * * * * *