The Movie Quotes Meme
Meme-rific week continues thanks to the beloved Bad Tempered Barbara, who tapped me for the Movie Quote Meme.
The Rules1. Here are quotes from 15 of my favourite movies. [Barbara’s Canadian, so she uses the “u” in words like “favourite.” I prefer that spelling, I must admit.]
2. See if you can name the films from whence they were lifted. [“From whence.” Don’t you just love it?]
3. No googling or IMDBing; I'm trusting you on this.
4. I'll post the film names as they’re correctly identified.
Ready, kids? Let’s go to the movies!
1. “What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?” — Rob (John Cusack), High Fidelity [Filegod]
2. “I had tried singing once and they threw tomatoes so after the show I had a nice salad.” — Hedwig (John Cameron Mitchell), Hedwig and the Angry Inch [Barbara]
3. “Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night!” — Margo Channing (Bette Davis), All About Eve [Malcolm]
4. “Let's nuke the bastards.” — President Thomas Whitmore (Bill Pullman), Independence Day [Filegod]
5. “They have to paint me red before they chop me. It's a different religion from ours. I think.” — Ringo, Help! [Bubs]
6. “Dude, I know they were just kids, but we kicked their pube-less asses!” — Jay (Jason Mewes), Dogma [Filegod]
7. “If it had to happen to one of us, why did it have to be you?” — Nicky Ferrante (Cary Grant), An Affair to Remember [Artful Kisser]
8. “I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my d*ck was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife Priscilla and bust it by j*ckin' off. Or I'd like to think that's what I'd do. Dreams let you think like that. Truth was, I hadn't had a hard-on in years.” — Elvis (Bruce Campbell), Bubba Ho-tep [Filegod]
9. “I would be remiss in my duty if I did not tell you that the idea of intercourse ... the act of your firm, young body ... comingling with ... withered flesh ... sagging breasts ... and flabby b-b-buttocks ... makes me want ... to vomit.” — Priest (Eric Christmas), Harold and Maude [Bubs]
10. “Our love for each other was stronger than ever … but I preminisced no return of the salad days.” — H.I. McDunnough (Nicolas Cage), Raising Arizona [Filegod]
11. “It wasn't like they took turns. It was all at once. Every which way. Rather like a marvelous pretzel.” “Ooh. Pretzelingus.”
12. “I'm nice. I really am. Apart from my terrible taste in pie.” — Juliet (Keira Knightly), Love Actually [Filegod]
13. “Oh, l'amour, l'amour, how it can let you down. Hmm. How it can pick you up again.” — Countess DeLave (Mary Boland), The Women [Kat-heel-well]
14. “You know when you hear girls say ‘Ah man, I was so shit-faced last night, I shouldn't have fucked that guy?’ We could be that mistake!” — Seth (Jonah Hill), Superbad [Barbara]
15. “I was taught that my prince would come, and he would be a lawyer, and I would have his children. And on the weekends we would barbecue. And all the other princes and their princesses would come, and they would say, ‘Delicious, delicious.’ Oh, how boring.” — Margaret (Anne Carlisle), Liquid Sky [Sean Wraight]
Since I didn’t include a quote from Clerks, Filegod suggested I include this:
Lights! Camera! Action!
• Erik’s Choice’s Erik
• Gifted Typist’s Gifted keyboardist, Typist
• Pop Culture Dish’s Malcolm
• Sprawling Ramshackle Compound’s Bubs
• When Will I Use This’ Mathman6293
* * * * * *