13 September 2006

Blogging Milestone: Six Months of the Cup

Today marks the six-month anniversary of A Cup of Coffey, so I’m taking a few minutes to reflect and brag.

I have to admit, when I started this blog — after being pushed for two years by Paul and having Dan beat me to the Blogger Dashboard — I wondered if I’d have much to write about. It still surprises me that I have something to say nearly every day; in fact, there are several columns in the hopper, just waiting for a slow news day.

And, damn, I love a forum where I can upload and obsess about songs. And write lists.


A Cupful of Blog Stats

• This is post #197. I’m planning a blog tradition for post #200, so come back in a few days.

• As of five minutes ago, there have been 21,615 visits to A Cup of Coffey. Seriously? That many of you want to know which R.E.M. album I listened to last night? I’m flattered.

• There have been 1,669 peeks at my profile. I hope one or two folks have explored Tim Sandlin or Parting Glances or Warren Zevon after reading my lists o’ faves.

• I’m still surprised that every third post is not about R.E.M.

• I’ve cut down on how often I use fabulous and excellent and the rest of my overused words. They’re still here, peppering each column … just a little less each month.

• It took five months, but I was finally tagged. Twice.

• Not really a stat, but I’ve been introduced to several new bands and authors through this blogging experience. And for that I’m eternally grateful.

• I’m also thrilled about the people I’ve met through this blog.


Cup’s Googliest Posts

Review: The BODIES Exhibition (March 14; my second post): I get at least one hit a day for this review. That post is even linked on some site for the traveling exhibit. It’s quite a fascinating, educational exhibit, by the way; go see it if it’s in your town.

Who Knew That I Love Puppets? (June 16): I’ve been able to trace Beck’s tour based on where the hits come from, thanks to Stereogum including a link to this post in its Bonnaroo review. Beck’s puppets really were cool, possibly the coolest stage thing I’ve ever seen.

Tonight’s Top 10: Beth's Sexiest Songs (April 2): If someone’s looking for a sexy song, they’ve hit this post. I get about 10 hits a week for sexiest songs (might explain last week’s stripper hits); I hope these folks are taking my list and your suggestions, and enjoying their extracurricular activities.


The Wall Came Down

Coincidentally, I had a blog first tonight: I met a blogger, the author of one of the first blogs I started reading regularly.

One of the interesting things about the blog universe is you have some level of intimacy with your blog circle — you know their secrets and heartaches, their triumphs and quirks, their brilliant and deep love for R.E.M. — and yet you’ve never heard their voices, nor seen them in the real world, nor know their real names. It’s a forum that allows you to be freer, more honest in what you write about since chances are you won’t run into them at your neighborhood coffee shop.

There are a few regular readers with whom I’ve become close — long e-mail conversations, non-blog discussions. I talk regularly on the phone to a couple of these folks and consider them true friends. But this was the first press-the-flesh moment.

As I came up the driveway I realized I was about to walk into a dinner party where I’d never met anyone sitting around the table, not even the host. The shy, nerdy kid inside me — the one who always had to look off to the side in the class picture because her glasses would cause a glare, and so she felt even nerdier — wanted to run back to the car. I didn’t, though. This was like being invited to sit at the cool kids’ table, and I was going to enjoy every moment.

The dinner party was a lot of fun. The Blogger Family is quite interesting and wonderful, very much as described on the blog, and I liked their friends. Added bonus: Since we read each other’s blogs regularly, we didn’t have to fall back on standard dinner party getting-to-know-you questions that can drag down the table conversation. They already knew I was a little too obsessed with R.E.M.

So, which of you bloggers is next?

* * * * * *

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 9/14/2006 07:50:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Does anyone need to say any more after what Ben just said? I will fall back on every single thing he said because he's a brilliant fellow too but just add a little more.

Beth, I first came upon your blog after reading a comment you left on The Official Site of Grant Miller. I was intrigued and read some of your writing and was drawn in quickly.

You're refreshing, passionate, a great writer and clearly have the most excellent taste.

It's exciting that you got to meet up with a blogging friend and had fun doing it. The prospect thrills and terrifies me if only for the worry that either they wouldn't be as great somehow in person or I wouldn't be. :-)

Here's to many more great blog rockin' beats!

Dale

 
At 9/14/2006 08:37:00 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Am I not supposed to reveal The Blogger Family? Well, if not, you can delete this comment and I'll rephrase it later, but I'm very happy that you came all the way up that too-steep driveway and that we got to meet you. I'm honored to be your first blogger meet-up.

I really enjoy the writing voice you've created here. I think that it's that voice that carries through, more than which particular aspect of R.E.M. you're discussing at any given moment. The blogging world is richer for having you in it.

 
At 9/14/2006 09:41:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

BEN: That's the nicest thing anyone has said about my blog (and I got a little teary-eyed reading it).

DALE: That's the second nicest thing anyone has said about my blog. I used to think that Grant Miller is the center of the blog universe ... but I think Passion of the Dale is about to take over that prized spot.

SCRIVENER: I wanted to make sure it was okay with you before I revealed The Blogger Family. You're now revealed!

 
At 9/14/2006 09:44:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Interesting that you REVEALed all. How R.E.M. of you Ms. Coffey.

 
At 9/14/2006 09:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Happy 6 Months Anniversary!

I found you while Google blogsearching on our mutual favorite tall dark and handome Guitar God. You know...that Peter Buck guy from R.E.M.

The post where you dared to brush the hem of his leather coat as he passed by you.

I know him more as Scott McCaughey's pal and part of Robyn Hitchcock's back up band, so it's great to learn the history from one who was there.

Glad to know you!

Keep 'em comin!

 
At 9/14/2006 09:47:00 AM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Grant's gonna be disappointed! Congrats Beth-I won't repeat what the others have said but I am with them.

 
At 9/14/2006 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

DALE: Even more interesting: I gave Scrivener one of my extra copies of Reveal since he left a comment that his wouldn't play anymore.

GLASSMEOW: Ah, our beloved Peter. I never ran my "I Wish Peter Buck Was My Best Friend" post; I was afraid of a being served with a restraining order.

OLD LADY: Tenacious S riled up Grant a couple of weeks ago; now it's my turn.

 
At 9/14/2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger lulu said...

"The shy, nerdy kid inside me — the one who always had to look off to the side in the class picture because her glasses would cause a glare, and so she felt even nerdier — wanted to run back to the car. I didn’t, though."

wonderturtle (In Her Shell) and I have a term for this kid. She is your "inner 13-year-old" all of us have one, and he/she comes out in exactly these sorts of situations.

 
At 9/14/2006 11:54:00 AM, Blogger barista brat said...

i remember first discovering your comments on guerrilla blogger's blog (*sigh* i wish he'd come back) and once i visited your own blog i was hooked.

it doesn't surprise me in the least that you have so many regular readers - the enthusiasm and passion (basically everything ben and dale wrote so eloquantly of) in your own life translates so beautifully on your blog.

here's to the next six months!

 
At 9/14/2006 01:25:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

LULU: Mine is the shy 10-year-old. Isn't it funny that, no matter how much we've grown, we still revert to that kid?

BRAT: I miss Guerilla Blogger, too. I hope he's out there lurking on our pages. Have you hear from him since the Tour de France? And you know how I feel about your blog ...

 
At 9/15/2006 08:37:00 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

George and I hope to see you in NYC when you're here in December. But be warned, we're much less attractive and interesting in person.

 
At 9/15/2006 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

B: My brother and his family used to live in Tampa Palms; I like the area. And I get my own bathroom, huh?

COASTER PUNCHMAN: That's so disappointing. I'm much lovelier and livelier in person.

 
At 9/19/2006 09:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the milepost. Keep up the good work. I especially enjoy reading about the things that I've missed in my own town. Speaking of which - TELL US ABOUT THE R.E.M. INDUCTION ALREADY! Whoa. Sorry about that. The suspense is killing me.

 
At 9/21/2006 12:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. For days, this was the most recent post on your site. Then today, all of a sudden, all of your posts since this one popped up. Really. I'm not insane. Anyway.....

 
At 9/21/2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Cup said...

Are you Firefoxing it, DJ? I've found that I have to refresh to get the latest posts ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats