04 April 2008

Mix Tape Friday: The Ones I Love

And that, of course, would be R.E.M.

We’ve been in Acceleration this week. In case you didn’t know, R.E.M.’s fourteenth studio album, Accelerate, was released this week to great reviews and great dance moves up and down my hallway.


Psssssst: Have you heard the news?



Secondly, Saturday marks the twenty-eighth anniversary of the band’s first performance — a big day on the calendars of us R.E.M. nerds. Can you imagine doing the same job with the same folks for nearly thirty years?

This has been a fun week for me — and I want you to join in the fun, to understand why I’ve loved R.E.M. totally and completely for most of my adult life. To help you get in that Athens frame of mind, here are fifty of my favorite non-album tracks — B-sides, fan club singles, cuts from soundtracks and tribute albums, a couple of live tracks.

Check in this weekend for one more R.E.M.-centric post — and a big announcement.

Let's start with a love song of sorts to R.E.M., and then dive into the cool tunes.



Pavement :: Unseen Power of the Picket Fence

R.E.M. :: Windout

R.E.M. :: Funtime

R.E.M. :: First We Take Manhattan

R.E.M. :: Burning Down

R.E.M. :: See No Evil

R.E.M. :: Bad Day

R.E.M. :: All the Right Friends

R.E.M. :: After Hours

R.E.M. :: Academy Fight Song

R.E.M. :: Sex Bomb

R.E.M. :: Ghost Riders

R.E.M. :: Chance (Dub)

R.E.M. :: There She Goes Again

R.E.M. :: Wall of Death

R.E.M. :: Memphis Train Blues

R.E.M. :: Adagio

R.E.M. :: Pale Blue Eyes

R.E.M. :: I Will Survive

R.E.M. :: Live for Today

R.E.M. :: Jimmy Crack Corn/Behind Closed Doors

R.E.M. :: Bandwagon

R.E.M. :: Dark Globe

R.E.M. :: The Lions Sleeps Tonight

R.E.M. :: Hot Java

R.E.M. feat. The Muppets :: Furry Happy Monsters

R.E.M. :: Only in America

R.E.M. :: Arms of Love

R.E.M. :: Baby Baby

R.E.M. :: Love Is All Around

R.E.M. feat. Robyn Hitchcock + Billy Bragg :: Tom’s Diner

R.E.M. :: Femme Fatale

R.E.M. feat. Kate Pearson :: Fretless

R.E.M. :: Wicked Game

R.E.M. :: Summertime

R.E.M. :: 2JN

R.E.M. :: Surfing the Ganges

R.E.M. :: The Passenger

R.E.M. :: Tired of Singing Trouble

R.E.M. :: Walter’s Theme

R.E.M. :: Sponge

R.E.M. :: Animal

R.E.M. feat. William S. Burroughs :: Star Me Kitten

R.E.M. :: #9 Dream

R.E.M. :: Jesus Christ

R.E.M. :: Favorite Writer

R.E.M. :: Dream (All I Have to Do)

R.E.M. :: Crazy

R.E.M. :: Wichita Lineman

R.E.M. feat. Bruce Springsteen :: Because the Night

Automatic Baby :: One



Too Accelerated to download each track? Take the shortcut to the zip file.

I could go on … and on … and on about every damn one of these tracks, but I’m trying hard not to bore you with minutiae. But let me point out what a groovy pool of artists R.E.M. has covered: Velvet Underground, Television and Mission of Burma, Big Star and Patti Smith, Leonard Cohen and Richard Thompson, Iggy and Syd — even Athens neighbors Pylon, Magnapop, and Vic Chesnutt.

These songs have me too distracted to continue typing. Think it’s time to Winamp up the room and dance. Hope you love this tape.

* * * * * *

Labels: , , , , ,

23 Comments:

At 4/04/2008 12:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your REM fest has been fabulous. Just listened to your boys sing love is all around. Caused a full on Love Actually mist up.

 
At 4/04/2008 03:15:00 AM, Blogger Mountjoy said...

I can only imagine the frustration of what to include and what to leave out... this must have been a hard mix for you to finalise, Beth!

 
At 4/04/2008 08:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Beth, that's a LOT of REM, but I'll sure give the zip file a try. Enjoyed the Colbert interview too!

 
At 4/04/2008 09:59:00 AM, Blogger BeckEye said...

Ok, so when the next Pearl Jam album comes out, I expect you to be fully supportive and not make any sarcastic comments about my obsession. :)

 
At 4/04/2008 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Splotchy said...

Beth, to borrow a phrase from an old cigarette ad, you are in "flavor country"! Your happiness is dripping from yer blog. And I'm happy for your happiness!

Thanks a lot for these songs. I have a fair amount of these on Dead Letter Office, but it's been ages since I've heard their cover of "Dark Globe" (originally done for Sassy magazine? I think on the flexidisc Stipe says something like "Hi to our Sassy readers").

I didn't know they covered "Jesus Christ"! That's my favorite Big Star song. That's Alex Chilton, singing, right? I didn't hear Stipe in there at all.

 
At 4/04/2008 01:57:00 PM, Blogger Moderator said...

I thought I had a lot of R.E.M. oddities in my collection. You easily take the cake, though.

 
At 4/04/2008 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Moxie said...

Will have to get the zip file this weekend. Do you get any sort of reimbursement for your REM PR work? Cause I think you should.

 
At 4/04/2008 09:29:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Wow. I bow down to your obsession.

I remember seeing REM cover "Femme Fatale" and (I think) "Run Run Run" when I saw them at the Aragon...a long time ago.

 
At 4/04/2008 10:04:00 PM, Blogger KS said...

OK, is next week's mix gonna be the songs by the original artists?

Hmmmm, maybe I'll do that one....

 
At 4/05/2008 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Thanks a bunch Ms. R.E.M. Some of these are the ones I love too. Sounds like an awesome week for you and the boys.

 
At 4/05/2008 11:45:00 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'm zipping as we speak. And I fully support your love for your lads, I think it's fabulous that they can command such devotion. Right on REM! Right on Beth!

 
At 4/05/2008 03:10:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

FILEGOD1: It has been a lovely week.

MOUNTJOY: It was. I finally went mainly with B-sides and fan club singles so I could get the mix tape to a manageable fifty.

HOLLYC: Wasn't the Colbert interview a hoot? Let me know how you like these tracks.

BECKEYE: I promise.

SPLOTCHY: That's Mike Mills singing lead on "Jesus Christ." On this collection, he also sings lead on "Baby Baby" and "Love Is All Around." He did an excellent job with "Out in the Country," but I included that on a mix tape a few months ago.

 
At 4/05/2008 03:14:00 PM, Blogger Cup said...

GRANT MILLER: A cake I'll gladly take.

MOXIE: True love can't be bought, Moxie. I'm here to spread the R.E.M. gospel across this great land of ours.

BUBS: I loved the covers they did back in the day. I heard 'em do "Jimmy Crack Corn" in Athens way back in 1984, and have been smitten with Stipe's rendition since that early March eve.

KS: Do it! Not all of these are covers, but it would make a great tape.

DALE: You're bunchily welcomed, doll. It has been a fabulous week for my boys and me.

BARBARA: Right on! Let me know which tunes you love.

 
At 4/06/2008 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Beth -- Zowie! BANG!
WOOSH! Amazing -- and I haven't even downloaded them yet -- just looking over the post -- Holy Moly -- congrats -- with the Tar Heels crumpled on the floor, time to get up and get on the good foot again ;)

 
At 4/06/2008 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Gifted Typist said...

I've never been as excited about R.E.M. since visiting you.

 
At 4/06/2008 03:24:00 PM, Blogger paperback reader said...

Well done, miss. I will officially never love anything as much as you love R.E.M.

 
At 4/06/2008 04:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I woke up at 4am saturday morning. Yup, I downloaded um all.

You RAWK

 
At 4/06/2008 09:54:00 PM, Blogger Tenacious S said...

I love to see you wallow in the glory.

 
At 4/08/2008 12:16:00 PM, Blogger Feisty Democrat said...

Wait, you like REM? How did I miss that before?

 
At 6/18/2008 11:45:00 AM, Blogger Splotchy said...

Are you *sure* that's not Alex Chilton singing "Jesus Christ"?!!

It really, really, really sounds like him.

 
At 1/27/2009 12:25:00 PM, Blogger a fan apart said...

Wow. And wow. Have heard only around a third of these covers. The link doesn't work anymore. Is there any way you could upload these again?

 
At 4/26/2009 02:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please repost Please??

 
At 8/09/2009 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your zip file has gone defunct. Is there any way I could get "Sex Bomb" from you? I've been looking for that cover for a long long time.

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats